Wednesday, July 17, 2024

The Sun Never Sets - 15mm figures for warfare around the British Empire - The British Part 3

 Now it is time to look at the mounted troops of Britain. Like the infantry, the regular cavalry have similar uniforms (in 15mm scale; one for dragoons and hussars and another for lancers. To add to the mix, there are colonial mounted units.



Non-Lancer Regular Cavalry - Decked out in red and blue, with the foreign service helmet, these are the typical counterparts to the infantry. There is one pose of trooper and an officer.



Lancers - This uniform has a plastron (the bib on the front) that is reversible. It can be painted solid white or blue piped white, as it was worn in Zululand. I have only one pose, the officer is denoted by the sword in his hand.



Mounted Infantry - Though not really cavalry, they at least ride horses. Here, I've shown the one pose of mounted, mounted infantry, along with regular infantry as the dismounted version. The mounted officer is the regular cavalry officer.



 
British Camel Corps - The Camel Corps is another mounted infantry unit, even though it contained a number of cavalry units in its ranks. This is an early version of khaki worn outside of India.  There is one pose for the mounted Camel Corps. Regular, khaki infantry can be used for the dismounts.

 The following photos are of colonial mounted units. The uniforms are from the Zulu War.





Colonial Auxiliary Mounted Troops -  These men wear one of the common styles for the Cape. Natal Mounted Police, Buffalo Border Guards, or Natal Carbineers can be represented by this figure.



Stanger Mounted Rifles - I did make one specific colonial unit, though I suspect others wore the forage cap as well. However, it did give me the opportunity to create a different uniform. 

If any of you have illustrations of colonial uniforms from other theaters, I would love to see them. It would give me the chance to further expand the line.

2 comments:

  1. One odd thing I have seen with many 25mm and 15 mm metal figures is the body proportion seems to favor large heads which gives the impression of dwarfs, munchkins or child soldiers. People have nostalgia for various styles, but I never collected much in these scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't argue that point, I'm as guilty as many others. However, I strive to improve while I accept where I am at as a sculptor. Besides that, if I wait for some else to make some of these oddball figures, I'll never have them to play with.

      Delete