Thursday, July 23, 2026

It's Gold Bugler!

 


About a year ago, I started working on a model of the Kali Temple from "Gunga Din". Well I finally got a printer big enough to handle it. So a good part of last week was spent doing just that.


For reference, here is a photo of the movie set. I believe they have the copula covered in this photo.

Now, I only had the movie to go from, no production plans or anything like that, so I used Cary Grant (at an even 6') as my ruler.



And those are my 15mm Cary Grant stand-ins. As much as possible, I tried to duplicate the features of the building in my version of the temple. I think I did a pretty good job on those columns at the entrance.


Here's a full front view of the temple.



And here are some exterior details. The main structure was printed on an Elegoo Neptune 4 Plus FDM printer. The detail work (elephants, the copula, and interior and exterior columns) were printed on an Elegoo Mars 5 SLA printer.

So, let's see what is inside.


The movie is rather scant on interior details, so I had to do a lot of improvising here.


On the back wall, I decoupaged some Hindu temple art I found on the internet. Originally, I was going to 3D print some friezes, but I think this was the better choice.


Judging from the interior scenes in the film, I determined that the guru's niche was on the side wall.



Turning around to the front wall, there are two elephant/dragon columns and two plain columns. The 
elephant/dragon columns were pieced together from numerous bits and bobs I found on Thingiverse.


There were no shots identified as any of the upper storeys, so the second and subsequent floors are all guess work. The photo above is the second floor.


And here is the third floor. Originally, I had 6 rooms on this floor, but that part of the print didn't turn out. I am rather glad that it didn't.


I put the snake pit on the fourth floor. Probably not the obvious choice, but from the movie, there appeared to be direct access to the roof from the snake pit room so it landed on the 4th floor.


And, the roof again. The items around the copula were from Scan The World , which I found on Thingiverse.

So there it is, Kali's temple from the movie Gunga Din.

I hope you like it and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment