Thursday, April 22, 2021

Rough Riders On Mars! - Chapter 33 – Rumors In The Air

 Chapter 33 – Rumors In The Air

As we walked into the town, we were greeted heartily by the locals. Professor Edgren suggested that because these people had suffered nearly as much from Reytik’s oppression as the Ceraunians, they were relieved that changes were happening. In fact, we passed a number of injured men that indicated their participation in the recent struggles. These men in particular, greeted us most warmly.

Within a few minutes we arrived at the headman’s office. I was not sure what our reception would be. Was this man one of Reytik’s or a democracy man? Or was he solely looking out for his own interests. The Professor read the office sign and told me, “Is says that this is the office of Deytik.”

“Does it mention the name of his lieutenant? I suppose if Deytik is one of us, he will be in  Ceraunius.”, I said.

“It says that the junior headman is Deytik also.” Professor Edgren said.

“Hmm,” I said, “Well we may find no one here. Shall we enter and solve this mystery?”

“Indeed.”, he replied.

With that, we entered the office. Inside we found a young man pouring over some papers and looking rather perplexed. He did not seem to notice our entrance.

Professor Edgren addressed the young man who looked up and was rather astonished to see two earthmen in his office.

He then spoke to the Professor who translated the young man’s introduction.

The Professor said, “This is Deytik the Younger, the son of the headman here. He says that it is a pleasure to meet us as this is the first time earthmen have come to this town.”

“Please tell him that the pleasure is ours and that he can expect more visits from us in the future.” I asked Professor Edgren to reply.

With the introductions concluded, I got down to business. I asked Deytik what his opinion was of the events in Ceraunius.

“We here in Corax make our living from agriculture. It is a modest living at best. We are too close to the city for the convoys from the mountains to stop over so we are mostly ignored, except at tax time.” He said. “The ruling classes never cared about us, they just wanted our produce and our profits. So, we are happy to see the changes that have occurred” he added.

“I expect you will be treated fairly from now on.” I said.

“If we can survive, I believe we will.” He stated grimly.

“So, you fear retribution?”, I asked.

“No doubt.” He said. “We saw many soldiers and officials fleeing eastward. They have gone to the mountains, I am sure. There they will choke off the income of Ceraunius. Then they will return to rule leaving devastation in their wake.”

“Then you do not expect we can hold on to our gains?”, I asked.

“With what can we hold them?”, Deytik said. “You earthmen have shown you are superior fighters, but you are too few to stop the tide that is to come.”

“An army is being trained as we speak.” I said. “And from what I’ve seen over the past weeks, I believe it will acquit itself admirably.”

“If we were up against Reytik and his minions alone, I would have more faith.” Deytik said.

“What do you mean?”, I asked. “You have news?”

“Nothing direct,”, he said, “but I’ve heard things and seen things. The other states nearby do not want to see a change in the world order any more than Reytik did.”

“So you fear interference from abroad?”, I asked.

“I do.” He said. “How else can you explain Ma Gongi in Ceraunius?”

“I don’t understand.”, I said.

Professor Edgren interjected, “The Ma Gongi are the little yellow fellows we encountered in the recent conflict. They are native to the swamps and do not usually venture far from there.”

 “So you believe some other state brought these Ma Gongi here. How do you know they were not just hired mercenaries?”

“They were mercenaries, no doubt.”, Deytik said. “But Reytik can hire men much closer to home, and of better quality.”

“This is indeed disturbing news.”, I said “Has the new government been informed?”

“My father is there now, I am sure it is being discussed.”, Deytik said.

“I assume this help is coming from the east, that is the direction of the nearest swamp.”, I said. “Deytik, do you know how far up the canal our foe is?”

“If you travel to the third village from here, down the canal,” he said, “you will get more accurate news.”

Will they be friendly toward us?” I asked.

“Find Rejik the Merchant.” Deytik said. “If you have a Martian friend travelling with you, send him into the village. Rejik owns the third building into town.”

“Thank you for your help, Mr. Deytik.”, I said. “ We will take your advice.”

“Very good.” He said. “The next village will be friendly to you, but you would be wise to avoid the second.”

“Thank you again.” I said.

With that the Professor and I returned to our camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment