Tuesday, August 6, 2024

The Sun Never Sets - Roster Generator - a solo game aid

 Before going too far into the details, this roster generator is neither specifically for "The Sun Never Sets" nor specifically for solo gaming. It is for generating rosters for "The Sword and the Flame" and can be used for solo or head-to-head play. But, since I am a solo gamer in the wilds of southern Colorado, I thought that this little program would help add color to my games and after-action reports.

In "The Sword and the Flame" it is suggested that players name the figures in their units. While this seems like an easy task, coming up with 20,40,60, or more unique names can be a bit of a bother. I am sure that many people have tackled this problem in many creative ways, but I have decided to use the power of the internet and some rudimentary programming skills to solve the roster problem.
 

The illustration to the left shows the layout of my roster. Across the top is unit and senior officer information. Below that is the roster that contains the names for each figure in the unit. Finally, the pertinent game information is at the bottom.

The buttons to the right of the roster form are used to fill out the roster. 

The "Create Names" button randomly selects from 664 first names and 1684 last names (that's where the power of the internet comes in, finding names) to create all of the names on the roster.

The "Press For a *** Unit" buttons assigns a unit name (Guard, Line, or Highland, based on the button selected) for the unit.

The three buttons below the "Press For a Line Infantry Unit" button fills in the morale values for the button selected.

The "Create Scottish Names" and "Create Welsh Names" have their own lists on names specific for their regions.

You can pick a Unit first or the soldiers' names first. If you don't like the names or the unit generated, simply press the button again and get new names.

Here's an example:

I'll start by generating a line infantry unit. I press the "Press For a Line Infantry Unit" button and get the, "16th (The Bedfordshire) Regiment of Foot". I'm good with that.


Since it is not a Welsh or Scots unit, I'll press the "Create Names" button to see who's in my unit.


Now I have a list of every soldier in my platoon. The company and platoon are intentionally left blank so that these can be assigned as needed.

Another thing of interest is the Colonel's name. Adolphus Bohun happens to be the 11th Earl of  Langport. I have given infantry colonels a 10% chance of being titled. If he is titled, both the title and the holding are randomly selected. The titles are weighted toward the bottom end of the nobility scale and the holdings come from a list of 652 place names from around the UK.

Here's an example of a Scottish roster:


If the Scots colonel is titled, the location of his holding are drawn from a specifically Scottish list.

Here is a Welsh list:


In a nod to one of the colonialists' favorite movies, I have added serial numbers for the "other ranks" so I can keep track of the Jones'.

I have used the typical British infantry list for this article, but I also have generators for the cavalry and artillery also. In addition, I have generators for all branches of the Indian, Egyptian, and South African volunteer forces. Each draws from lists of names specific to their region.

Here is an example of a Punjab Field Force roster.


Notice that the officers have British names.

If you have any comments, I would love to hear what you think.

I imagine you are thinking, "I'd like to actually see the thing before I comment on it."  Well, I have finished up some clean up and finishing touches, so the roster generator is linked below for you to use as you will. Please let me know if the link doesn't work.

The Sun Neve Sets - Google Drive

Thank you for your interest.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good. Personally, I use ChatGPT these days to come up with all sorts of names. I'm running an imaginary ACW campaign, and I needed (fictituous) unit names that sounded ACW-like, but were inspired by Bourbon brands. So ChatGPT came up with a lot of usefull stuff.

    ReplyDelete