Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Specialty Figures - Nurse and Surgeon, Part 2

After completing the nurse, I purchased a mold making starter kit so that I could reproduce the lady.  The kit, by Alumilite, had a smaller amount of mold making material than I expected, however there was just enough to get the nurse encased.

I used a large medicine bottle for the mold form, which presented only a minor problem in extracting the mold (the bottle did not survive). From the mold, I got eight passable castings. Unfortunately, I did not do a very good job at cutting the mold open, so it failed after the eight figure was removed. I was also somewhat dissapointed in this particular mold material which has a low tear strength. However, on the plus size, the eight figures only cost about $3.75 each to produce.  On the down side, I did have some repair work to do as a result of lost details due to air bubbles. These occured mainly in the area of the apron string's bow.

Below is a photo of four of the painted nurses:

(click on the picture to see the full image)

Thanks to Patrick Wilson for the use of his prototype "Funny Little Cottage" as a backdrop (sorry I didn't have the front step in place). I used a little green stuff to repair apron bows.  All in all, I am pleased with the results.

I have also finished sculpting the Surgeon. The finished master is shown below.

I hope to make a new mold of both figures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment